Thursday, June 24, 2010

Can I get cash for that corpse?

I've told my family, repeatedly, that I want them to do whatever is cheapest when it comes to disposing of my body when I die. If they can do it for free, or earn some money, even better.

It's bad enough how much land is taken up by housing and businesses. The fact that we have swaths of land being used purely for laying out dead bodies is just disturbing. The space that would be used for my grave would be better used to plant food for the hungry, or combined with other grave-sized plots to build homes for the homeless.

Plus, the astronomical price of a funeral, a fancy box no one is going to see after a couple of hours and my dead corpse is not going to feel, and a hole in the ground to put it in, is disgusting. I don't want my family sinking thousands of dollars on my dead corpse. The money spent on an elaborate burial could go towards thousands of better uses. Spend it on someones college education, or the down payment on a home for a grandchild or great grandchild. If we have the money to spare, donate it to charity.

The thing is, I'm not there anymore. At that point, it's just compost. The "me" they'll remember will only live in memories and pictures. Future generations can learn about me from those. Visiting a grave site, where my body had probably turned to soup in that fancy box, is not how I want friends and family to think about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment